An eggless pound cake recipe which, I have wanted to do for a long time for two reasons. One it is for those who are pure vegetarians and do not want to eat cakes/pastries which are made with eggs and secondly this is a whole wheat cake recipe. I am definitely in favour of having wheat as opposed to having maida.
More and more, my kids as they grow up want to have cakes and other bakery stuff. I am keep on trying bakery stuff which is more healthy and more palatable than having maida and this eggless cake is one such product which I am very happy about.
In fact, I always used to think that makings stuff with atta or wheat flour would be tough however as this cake recipe shows it is not tough at all. On the contrary this has been very very easy. There are some things that you need to careful about and that is it.
I am sure you would be asking what is that you should be careful about . Here it is
- The proportions need to be correct what you would do in a regular cake
- While mixing the batter, you need not whisk it too strongly. Be gentle and very kind to the batter. It will work like a charm
A couple of things before we start on the recipe. I have used the milkmaid condensed milk as a substitute for eggs. Plus you will need milk, butter and may be some white butter (or even three four spoons of malai or cream that you get at the top of milk). I would suggest if you are trying for the first time then only go for the unsalted butter. Do not go for salted butter. Also, if you are not using the milkmaid condensed milk then it is use sugar along with unsweetened condensed milk. The milkmaid condensed milk is very sweet, though just added a bit of sugar but not a whole lot. My cake was much sweeter.
Step by step instructions for the Indian whole wheat eggless cake recipe.
In addition as usual at the end of this recipe I have a printable version along with a list of ingredients. Before we even start , make sure that you have your oven preheated at 180 degree (330 degree Fahrenheit) for about 15-20 minutes.
Take 1 ½ cups of whole wheat or atta, Baking soda ( ½ tbsp) and baking powder(1 tbsp). Now make sure that you add both baking soda and baking powder. This is needed in an eggless recipe. Take all three ingredients and use a sieve to sieve them through onto a plate or a flat tray.
- Take 200 grams of unsalted butter and melt it in pan. For melting the butter heat it on a very low flame. This 200 grams of melted butter should be about ½ cup of melted butter in a cup.
- Pour this melted butter into a bigger vessel. Now add 200 grams of milkmaid condensed milk to this melted butter.
- Take whisk and start mixing the butter and condensed milk mixture. As I said earlier this has to be done very slowly.
- Add ½ cup milk (warm and not very hot) into this mixture.
- Now add sugar into this mixture. I do grind the sugar in a grinder before adding. You can add it without grinding however I like this better as it mixes well.
- Stir again with whisk and do it very slowly.
- Now add the sieved atta, baking powder & baking soda mixture into this butter mixture which you have been stirring
- Add Vanilla extract
- Once added, again start the stirring with whisk. Be gentle and firm.
- Now take the loaf pan and grease it with oil or butter. We grease this pan else the mixture will stick to the pan while it is being baked.
- The size of the baking pan does make a difference so use the one which is of the dimensions’ 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5 inches. Instead of a rectangular one you can use the 7.5 inches round one.
- Now pour the mixture into the pan and keep it into the oven. Since this a wheat cake the top will go brown after about 15 minutes. Once the top of the cake is brown then take the cake very briefly and keep aluminum foil on the top such that the top of the cake does not start to burn and get black. The aluminum foil will prevent it from getting direct heat and getting burnt. After pouring into the loaf pan I sprinkled some walnuts on top . You can mix it so that walnut is well spread within the mixture or just let it remain on the top. Your choice.
Overall I was done in about 40-45 minutes. However it can vary, so use a toothpick or a wooden skewer to prick the cake in the center. After pricking if you take out the toothpick then no cake residue should be sticking onto this. If that is the case, then it means that cake is done.
Another check is that typically the top of the cake will become crusty and will crack. The crack is a sign that cake is fully baked.
- Take the pound cake out and let it cool. Once it is cooled off take the cake out of the load pan. Slice it and eat the yummy cake. This can be stored for 3-4 days in refrigerator.
Here are the ingredients and recipe in an easy format to save and print if you like.Recipe for a whole wheat basic cake without eggsPrep timeCook timeTotal timeA simple easy to make and a very basic cake without eggs and made with wheat.Author: AlkaRecipe type: DessertCuisine: InternationalServes: one loaf of cakeIngredients
- Atta or whole wheat flour – 180 grams or 1.5 cups
- Baking powder – 1 tbsp
- Vanilla extract - 1 tbsp
- Warm milk – ½ cup (approx 120 ml)
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- Baking soda – ½ tbsp
- Butter – Unsalted – 200 grams (1.5 grams after it is melted)
- Milkmaid condensed milk – 200 grams ( ⅔ cup )
- Walnut – 5 pieces ( not a must). My kids love walnut so went with that option
- Mix atta, baking powder, baking soda in a vessel.
- Use a sieve to make sure no lumps are there in the mixture. Keep the sieved mixture separately
- Now take unsalted butter and melt it on low heat. Once done, pour that into a separate bigger pan as that we will use that for making the overall cake mixture.
- Add milkmaid condensed milk. Stir with a whisk
- Add warm milk. Stir gently with a whisk
- Now add some malai or homemade cream from milk. This step is optional.
- Add some sugar(better grind the sugar and add)
- Add vanilla extract
- Mix and stir well with a whisk. Be gentle.
- Add the dry sieved atta mixture into this.
- Stir again and again but gentkly
- Now take the loaf pan and grease it with oil .
- Now pour the stirred mixture into the load pan.
- Keep this loaf pan into the preheated (180 degree centigrade) oven. You can use the convection mode in microwave oven for this.
- Once you see the top is fully brown then cover the top with aluminum foil. Keep the loaf pan in the oven till the cake is fully baked. That would mean using the toothpick to check if it is baked. It will take anywhere between 35 minutes to 45 minutes to bake this. Again timing can vary, so keep checking.
- Once baked take the loaf pan out and let it cool.
- Cut it and eat the delicious cake.
This recipe goes into the event which is all about eggless stuff here at Gayathris cook spot